Thursday, December 11, 2014

BOOTS PAPER DOLL FROM DECEMBER 1955

Yesterday I posted that I needed to get a Kindle in order to at least read Monica Mccarty's
Cover for e-book
novella The Knight, part of her Highland Guard series. Well, as luck would have it, I actually found the book online at this site.  To say I was thrilled to find the book online without having to buy a Kindle, is an understatement. I have started reading the book before I tuck into book 8 of the series :The Raider.    


So far it has caught my interest. The book opens with James Douglas being knighted by The Bruce at the Pass of Brander in 1308 after the McDougall's defeat by the Bruce's men.  From the photos I've seen on the Internet, the pass is very beautiful and I, for one, would love to just take a drive along the road that runs through it. I don't think I would stay in my car all that much, constantly getting out to take pictures of the stunning scenery and imagining what it would be like to have lived back then when the Bruce was attempting to free Scotland from English rule. I know it wasn't a pleasant time period, what with the lack of modern medicine and so many dying of simple afflictions that can be cured today.  The pass looks far different than it did in the 14th century as the eastern end of the pass was damned in 1959, according to Wikipedia

Artists reconstruction
Then the author takes you to a hill name Pagie on the outskirts of the village of Douglas within sight of Douglas castle where Joanna Dicson is waiting for James "the Black" Douglas to once again meet her at their "spot".  The castle tower that stands today is what is left of the tower built in the 17th century. When possible, I like to find photos of either what the castle looked like or the man himself. Going so far back in time it is sometimes difficult to find images of the people that lived unless it's an effigy on their tomb. There is one of James' tomb but it isn't a clear one and I chose not to use someone dressed like him. 

Joanna tells James that she is pregnant with their child. Joanna is also under the belief that he would marry her, only to find out that he will not due to her station. She's the daughter of the Marshall and beneath him. He does care for her but had intended to make her is leman. Joanna is none to pleased when she finds out that he had no intention of making her his bride and I'm at the part where he's left her on the hill to join Seton and Boyd who have been looking for him. They've come to Castle Douglas to evict the English garrisoned there. The castle has been nick named Castle Dangerous as it was very dangerous as a post for an Englishman.

The paper doll for today is from 1955 and is another Boots. She's in the mountains this time enjoying a sunset. 


12 11 1955
 I converted it to a black and white image. Which I altered so that one could make the belt a different color and also put "lipstick" on her as well.  I will update this post when the recolored one is finished.




Just for a giggle I Googled both addresses and they still exist. Sometimes they've been turned into a shopping center, parking garage, or industrial complex. I'm always saddened when old houses are torn down to make way for modern buildings. 


Til' next time....                                           ALOHA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment