Friday, January 30, 2015

A JANE ARDEN FROM 1937

I know it's been remiss of me for not posting but truth be told I just haven't felt up to it. Mainly because it is the searching for paper dolls to match the date that takes time to do and I've other things I want to do with my days rather than try and find the newspaper paper dolls in my collection that match the current date.  At least though I've posted more within the last few months than I did the whole of last year.

I'm reading the second book in Arnette Lambs border series BORDER BRIDE and although it is
a good book, I am not to taken with the heroine of the piece Alphin MacKay. Malcolm Kerr who is son to Duncan Kerr from Border Lord is a nice enough fellow but it is Alpin that grates on my nerves. She was a bratty child and is an even brattier adult. Some might call her a bitch. I am half way through the book and still haven't taken to her. Although her uncle ignored her as a child she did find the love she lacked from her own family in Duncan Kerr and in particular Malcolm who did his best to befriend her only to have her play nasty tricks on him every time he got to close. This usually consisted of him trying to steal a kiss from her. 

She was sent to Barbados to live with a relative who eventually passed away and she ended up taking over the running of the sugar plantation there. Malcolm was willed the
Inside cover
plantation and Alpin, to say the least, is extremely unhappy about it. She is determined to rectify the will by getting Malcolm to marry her and as a wedding present give her the plantation. Then she has plans to leave him and live out her life in Barbados. While I understand the reason for her actions, she is manipulating him, a man, who as a boy, did all in his power to try and be her friend. In return all he received was hatefullness and cruelty.  So far Alpin as even resorted to drugging Malcolm in order to get him to do the "honorable" thing and marry her. Malcolm, to his credit, has not been taken in by her beauty or her disposition. He KNOWS she is up to something and trusts her as far as he can throw her.  He has decided to handfast with her for a year or until she conceives a child. What she doesn't know, is that an incident that she caused as a child (I won't give it away) has made him sterile. Hopefully as the story progresses I'll grow to like Alpin, but thus far, she just gets on my nerves. 


Today is a Jane Arden from 1937. 


1/31/1937

                                  ALOHA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment