Wednesday, December 31, 2014

JANE ARDEN WEARING NATIVE AMERICAN COSTUMES

For today's paper doll we have Jane back in the USA and wearing native american costumes.  I may be wrong but I believe the costumes are supposed to represent the plains and eastern tribes. though I may be wrong.  I also find it interesting that she has a warrior bonnet when women never wore them and they were reserved for the men of the tribes.  Back in the 30's people thought that the native americans had all but disappeared from history, except for those relegated to reservations.  I remember watching old westerns and how they made native americans no more than "savages" out for white mens blood. Which was far from the truth. My first experience with the truth of how native americans were treated was in high school and a history teacher named Mr. Biggs (who passed away in 2012), he opened my eyes to the fact that how they were preseaved as murdering heathens was all wrong. They had a genuine issue with how the white man treated them. After all, the white man was the invader NOT the native americans.  It was always a given that they were supposed to just let the white man have the land that their ancestors had lived on for generations and they should give in and move away, find somewhere else to live because God had given the land to the white man. Of course there was that convert or be killed edict that the religious sector touted as well.  I could never understand that one. Was not the "Great Spirit" the same God that Europeans worshiped only under a different name? Maybe they didn't have a building to worship their God in but they still asked the Great Spirit for guidance just as the European settlers did.  Mr. Biggs showed me that what the white man wrote in their history books and said were "fact" was sometimes embellished and at times out right lies.  And as my mother always said there are always two sides to every tale told.  After that I read all I could on the native american struggle and ever since have been sympathetic to their cause.  I especially didn't like how they were portrayed in early westerns.  So imagine my delight when I saw Dances with Wolves. 
12 31 1933
 And again in black and white. 



                             ALOHA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment