![]() |
| Katy Keene Coloring Calendar 1983 |
I have to admit, even though there are times I dread the holidays, and holiday cooking, I'm looking forward to it this year. Why? Because this time last year I could barely see, let alone cook. I have so much to be thankful for this year least of which is the gift of my eyesight.
Last year I could barely read what I was typing on this blog, now I can see so well I don't need my reading glasses. I don't care what anyone says, God did perform a miracle through the surgeon who fixed my failing eyesight. I'd asked God for a miracle and lo and behold he granted two...the first was the disability that I received (I honestly didn't expect to receive anything) because without that there was no way I could afford the surgery and the second was the wonderful surgeon (Dr. Craig Cassidy) who rid me of the cataracts that were covering my eyes. It is a horrible sensation losing the one organ you depend on so much. I know there are plenty of people in the world who are blind or have gone blind and cope with it every day, but I was finding it increasingly difficult to adjust with the inability to see what I was doing. I think what really bothered me was that I continually had to ask my husband to read things for me. It wasn't that he minded, I don't think he did, but it felt like my independence was slowly being whittled away as my eyesight got progressively worse. So it's understandable that this year I'm excited about being able to see the controls on my stove. Last year I had to put initials on the control panel of the stove in order to tell the difference between bake and broil and the timer option using a Sharpie. I've since removed the black marks from the panel. And how I didn't burn myself is beyond me since my depth perception
was all off. I'd find myself nearly putting out my own eye when I was trying to read something!
So as I said, I have much to be thankful for this year. I still haven't gotten used to the fact that I can see without glasses. I do need them for reading (I'm not even using the reading glasses as I type this) but that's a small inconvenience compared to where I was last year at this time; barely able to see the words on a books page and only being able to see out of my right eye and then struggling to make out the words on a page. I liken the sensation of looking through wax paper and vaseline. I will never take my eyesight for granted again!
Speaking of books, I've been reading a really good series by Monica McCarty. Her Highland Guard series and let me tell you it is FANTASTIC! It takes place during Robert The Bruce's reign and involves an elite group of warriors consisting of the BEST warriors from several different clans and even one Englishman. At the moment I'm almost to the end of The Saint, the fifth book in the series. She's really researched her subject and what I find most enjoyable is that after every book is looking up on Google Maps and the Web, the people and places mentioned in each book. I do this for every historical novel I read, but the best ones are the ones where the characters interact with historical figures. One of my favorite scenes is (based on historical fact) is where Robert has pretty much given up his bid for the thrown when Edward I had him on the run and he's in a cave having just been shipwrecked off the coast of Ireland and he sees a spider trying to span a gap above his head. The spider makes the connection to the other side and thereby Robert considers it a sign from God to continue his bid for the crown of Scotland. Of course this is McCarty's interpretation of what The Bruce experienced but who really brings the characters to life. All the characters in her books were in some part based on real people of the time. I couldn't find a paper doll for today's date in my collection so I'm posting one from Child Life Magazine for this month instead. I love the coat and hat. Do children help their parents out with the holiday dinner any more? I remember helping Mom mash potatoes before they had the instant kind that comes in a box. For awhile I used to do the same thing after I was married but it takes a lot of time to mash them. Much easier to get them all ready cooked and all you have to do is nuke them in the microwave for 10 minutes, then mash them up. Much quicker and less prep time.
Until next time.... ALOHA!!

No comments:
Post a Comment