Thursday, August 9, 2012

Stray cat

Just after I put Snowbelle to sleep a stray cat began to show up at our door. We didn't know where she came from or who owned her. Probably someone in the neighborhood moved and left her behind. At least that was our supposition. I named her Kitty and like the fool I am, started feeding her. She'd rub my husband's legs as he was putting his bike up when he got home from work and generally would be underfoot wanting food and attention until we gave it to her. 

We started feeding her and every day for the last couple of months she's been at our door wanting food, which we would put out for her, let her eat her fill and bring it back in until the next time she would show up. I'd call her pest but deep in my heart I enjoyed seeing her each day and I think my husband did too. We started asking each other if she'd been there that day and though we SAID we didn't want her to show up, secretly I did want her to come back. I looked forward to her meowing and bold as brass, walking into our pantry when we'd open the car port door.

I finally broke down and a week ago started to pet her rather than just shooing her out the door with my foot. I'd even let her eat in the pantry last week when we had the dust storms rolling through. This week the temperature is supposed to sore to 114 degrees and I've been contemplating letting her inside to stay. To become a member of our family.

Well, it's been two days now since I last saw her. She hasn't been back. We keep a bowl of water outside for her in case she's thirsty but I don't think she's been back to drink from it. I found myself sitting in the chair we'd put in the car port so that we could sit and pet her crying and wishing she'd come back and apologizing for not letting her become a member of our family. It isn't that I didn't want her, goodness knows I did, it's that we simply can't afford another cat. I'm having enough trouble coming up with the money to have Sweetie Pie seen to without having to take another cat to the Vet for a check-up and to make sure it's healthy and won't pass anything on to my indoor cats. My one regret is that I never took a photo of her. She had  beautiful calico markings. She'd started to mat and I was going to take the time to comb them out of her but I suppose I won't get the chance now.

It is my fervent hope that someone thought as we were doing and took her in out of the heat, giving her a home. She was such a wonderful loving feline that it broke my heart thinking someone had abandoned her. Where ever she is now I hope it's someplace cool with someone stroking her fur and listening to her extremely loud purr and giving her the love and attention she so sorely deserved. Although the thoughts have filtered trough my mind, I don't want to contemplate anything bad happening to her. At any rate, I'll never know. 

Finally something I've been working on since 2007. A paper doll entitled Calendar Cat. The paper doll itself doesn't have a background I just added the waves to this one in order to liven him up. I still have quite a bit of work to do on him, Still have to finish March, April, May, June, July, September, October and November. As I said quite a bit of work. Actually I don't think he'd look half bad just as a topper for an actual calendar. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment