Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My first Blog...

Well, here I am. Finally blogging. I don't know if I'll keep up with it, but I will try. As this blog is in it's infancy (and who is really going to read it anyway?) I hope to improve as I go along.

Why the name you ask? Well, I have this idea...as an artist I am always trying to come up with ways to market myself. I would have chosen Nora's Notions but that name was already taken so I added the nifty and who knows they just might end up being nifty.

So, you might ask who is this Nora person? And why is she blogging? Well, it actually started out today while I was doing research for an essay in my Art History class. I stumbled across Google Blogger and thought to myself, what the heck, might as well. Not that any one will be interested in who I am, or what I do, or even what I am interested in but it might just be fun. Even if it is for my own amusement.

I'm 52, but I really don't feel that old. I always imagined that when I reached this age I would be on heart medication, probably have a walker and be sitting in a rocking chair with a passel of grand children surrounding me. Well, that didn't happen. It wasn't for want of trying though. God, in his infinite wisdom, decided that I wasn't meant to have them. Adoption has crossed my mind, but lets face facts, adoption costs money and my husband and I just aren't well off enough.

Oh, didn't I mention I was married? I have been with the same man for over 25 years but have known him longer than that. We met while he was an Airmen in the Air Force and stationed at Travis AFB. While I was in high school, in Fairfield, Ca., I was on a school work program and part of my day was spent out at Travis working as a receptionist/file clerk for the Printing Department. I was 17 and he was 23.

According to my husband it was love at first sight, on his part. For me, my interest was in an Airman named Tracy. He was tall and lean and blond and I thought he was an Adonis! I look back on it now and wonder: What was I THINKING!?  I learned that he was just as human as any other man. He told some untruths about what happened between us that hurt my husband; because as far as he was concerned I was "his girl" and I'd two timed him.

You have no idea how hard that poor man tried to get me to date him! He had a '63 Chevy Belair station wagon, his first car, and every evening when I got off work, he would drive by me as I made my way to the bus stop and ask if I would like a ride home. Well, at first it was because I didn't know him that well and he was a "stranger" to me. (Mom always said never accept rides from a stranger) So I said: "No, that's okay, I'll take the bus." But truth be told it wasn't that he was a stranger but I had eyes at the time for Tracy. I still remember Tracy's car to this day, it was a red Opal and as far as I was concerned cooler than a station wagon. After all what girl wants to be taken home in a station wagon?

Finally on the fifth or sixth or seventh (I really don't remember how many) time I took pity on him and said yes. Thinking back I did feel sorry for him. I had no interest in dating him at all, but he was so persistent. I know that is HORRIBLE of me but there you have it. I was young, stupid and didn't know a good thing when it drove by. I still had eyes for Tracy and since he wasn't going to take me home I might as well accept the ride. I introduced him to my mom and she took to him right away. She approved of him but be that as it may, I still had eyes for "Adonis". Somehow, without my realizing it, he became my boyfriend. I'm not sure why though, he was a very nice person, had impeccable manners, opened the car door for you, a gentlemen. I suppose I didn't want to hurt his feelings (he was and still is a sensitive man...NOT to be confused with a wuss or girly man because he is NOT either of those) so I continued to go out with him when he came to call. I didn't have the heart to tell him no. Besides, as I stated Mom liked him.

Well, it came to pass that he went on leave and it was then that Tracy, who I'd wanted for what seemed like forever to ask me out, inquired if I'd like a ride home. Hallelujah!! Finally my dream man is asking to take me home! I was beside myself with anticipation! I'm afraid I was absolutely speechless! I just nodded and got in his car. To this day I can't remember a thing he said on the drive into Fairfield. I kept looking out the window in disbelief. When we got off the freeway I gave Tracy directions to my home, and here is where I found out just what kind of man he was....

He told me he had to stop by his apartment first to change. In my mind I knew something was wrong, but because I'd waited so long, months and months, for him to even give me a lift in his car, I paid no attention to the warning. I squashed it like a bug and told myself not to be paranoid. He was going to do just that, change from his uniform into his civilian clothes. Everything would be fine. Well, without going into details, it was not "fine". He actually frightened me. He was in no way, shape, or form a gentleman. Tracy did take me home, but my mother disliked him on sight!  He was courteous to her, with yes M'am and no M'am but somehow my Mom knew what kind of a worm he was!

When my husband (we married in 1981 but that's another blog entry) came back from leave, he got wind of our little liaison and it took me quite some to convince him that Tracy had lied. Before he left for Germany in 1976 he got down on one knee and ask me to marry him. At 18 (I'd turned 18 in March)  I didn't feel I was ready for marriage so told him no. I graduated high school that year and joined the California Conservation Corps. We didn't loose contact while he was overseas we wrote each other for the entire time he was in Koln.

Well, that's quite a bit for a first blog. Don't you think? Did I bore you? Or are you interested in reading more about my life, interests, passions? Whether you are interested or not, I will do my best to continue with it. It will be hard at times to made entries as I get busy with other things and forget or am just to tied up with other things to bother. But as I said...I will try.

Eventually, once I get the hang of this, I will put up photos of my trips, art work, likes, and so forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment