Thursday, May 3, 2012

My favorite Beach on Oahu


Kahana Beach Park looking North west March 2007


One of my favorite beaches on Oahu is Kahana Beach Park. Even on holidays this beach isn't all that crowded. Although I discovered it in 2007 little did I know it was perfect for a person who has a deformed foot. The sand is nice and firm and I have no problem walking normally on it, without my boot, without feeling like I'm going to fall. Since this shot was taken my right foot has become deformed with what is called Charcot.  My foot was damaged (unbeknownst to me) several years ago. I was stocking freight and the L-cart I was working from slammed down on my instep. I had minute fractures, and though my foot did hurt at the time, I could still walk and didn't think there was anything wrong so didn't report it. Which, in hindsight, I should have because had I done so I might have been able to save my bones from falling. At any rate, the sand here is absolutely lovely. As you can see it was another overcast day and even sprinkled while I was there. But did that deter me from going swimming? HECK NO!! I dived in..okay waded...and had a great time swimming in the ocean. It took me years to overcome my fear of it. It wasn't so much the water, and it being so big, the waves or anything like that...it was what was in the water with me. :)

This is also another Photoshoped picture. While the clouds were visible in the original, they weren't really dark enough. So I enhanced them and lightened the beach somewhat and put the photo back together. I like the results. I softened the line of the mountains with 10% pressure also enlarged them a little so that where I cut the photo in two so it wouldn't be so noticeable when I put it back together. But judge for yourself. :)
I know there isn't to much of a difference which was the idea. Be honest now, if I hadn't told you, could you tell the photo had been doctored??

The day I spent on the beach I had such a GREAT time. Granted I was alone but that didn't matter. I "played" with the waves, splashed around, laughed and pretty much entertained myself. I'm sure some folks on shore thought I was deranged, but it didn't matter to me. I felt alive and "skinny" (I'd lost enough weight to actually fit into a swimsuit so was ecstatic about it) and beautiful. You have to understand where I came from to know that for the longest time I felt ugly and plain and gross. One of the things I do love about Hawaii is that the locals don't judge you if you're heavy. Not like in California (where I was raised)  where you pretty much have to be rail thin in order to enjoy the beach in a swimsuit. People look at you as if you're out of your mind to DARE go on a beach in a bathing attire. You're judged on how you look. Not so in Hawaii. Maybe by the people from off island but not by the locals. I actually felt accepted by them. They're warm and friendly and don't look at you as if you're from another planet if you say hello. Which, if you've lived there for awhile and return to the mainland, is a shock, for people on the mainland are NOT that friendly if you say hello to them or try to strike up a conversation. You can literally feel them giving you the cold shoulder if you so much as LOOK like you're going to say something to them.   So what they say is true, there IS much Aloha in Hawaii and if you stay there awhile (in 2007 I was there for a month in March) and get to know the local people you feel like you're apart of their ohana.

http://ccsbio.blogspot.com
After reading THE DRAGON AND THE PEARL I started THE PASSION AND THE FLOWER.The story takes place in Paris, circa 1867, the year of the International Exhibition.  I'm just in the beginning of the book where I've met Prince Ivan Volkonski who is cousin to the Tsar and he's been taken to a performance of Cinderella at the Theatre Imperial du Chatelet (the theatre still exists) where he's just seen an exquisite dancer perform on stage and wishes to meet her. Lokita, however, never gives interviews or accepts men callers and leaves as soon as her two appearances are finished. He sends her a bouquet of Star Orchids and a piece of jewelry created by the jeweler at the time Oscar Massin. As she is leaving the theatre Ivan comes in through the stage door as Miss Anderson, her guardian, has pulled Lokita into the shadows and he doesn't notice her. When informed the stage door manager hadn't seen them leave yet, the prince goes up to her dressing room. As he treads up the stairs Lokita and her guardian step from the shadows. Miss Anderson hands the jewelry box to the stage door manager informing him that Lokita was insulted by the gift from Ivan and would he return it to him. They then exit the theatre and get into a carriage. But far from being insulted, Lokita informs Miss Anderson that she's going to look up everything she can on Russia and see if the handsome prince is mentioned in any of the books. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exposition_map_1867.jpg
I think I would have enjoyed walking around the exposition. Judging by the map, it would have taken me several days to see everything. But I would have been totally entranced with all the new inventions. According to the information garnered from Wikipedia, only 703 Americans exhibited and France had the highest exhibitors at 15,055. Britain 6176. It opened on April 1st of that year and closed on October 31, 1867.


May 3 1936
The paper doll for today is from the comic strip Toots and Casper. I've enlarged it somewhat as the original was small. This was one of the better ones on the disc I purchased. I actually have cut pieces and these are great for referencing when I'm trying to find the date and year of a doll or to see what other outfits she or he might have had. I also brightened her up a bit. The clothes should fit as I also cut out each piece in Photoshop and placed it over the doll to make sure the clothes fit her. My favorite of her outfits is the red and gray ensemble. 



From my paper doll designs I offer you Venus. I've since changed her name to Aphrodite since her costumes don't go as far as the Roman period. She has Egyptian and Greek outfits. The costumes come from the book "Costumes in Antiquity" which I do believe I borrowed from the Library. I don't have it in my personal book collection. I'm in the process of changing her face and have reduced her down in size to conserve on the amount of paper needed to print her. Eventually I will colorize her. Also, so as not to offend anyone viewing this blog, I've censored her in the respect that she has a top on. The original is bare breasted. The Snake Goddess costume would look goofy if she wears a bandeau underneath it. I'm also going to change the border to something more appropriate...perhaps a blending of Egyptian and Greek. 


Well my readers I will say Aloha for now and hope that everyone has had a pleasant day and has not found my blog to awfully boring. :)  Until next time....
Hibiscus Nora Dennis 2007











No comments:

Post a Comment